She's Pregnant. What Do You Do?
July 18th 2016
Someone confides in you she’s pregnant. What do you do? Whether you are a friend, family member, or father of the baby, your response to this news is vital. Here are some tips from an article called “Tiny Blue Lines” we thought were helpful. Many women facing an unplanned pregnancy enter a state of shock that is very real. Realize that she is in a crisis. The initial result of a positive pregnancy test often leaves women feeling panicked and unable to think clearly. Logical reasoning will get you nowhere at this state. Focus on showing her complete support.
- Avoid reacting. Think poker face. You will never predict all the situations she may face. The worst thing you can do is to show any type of shocked reaction, it will just make her feel that her already desperate situation is even more shocking.
- Encourage her to make her own decision. Don’t offer advice right away. Encourage her to explore her wishes
Remember: Places like Pregnancy Resource Center are experts in unplanned pregnancy. Relax, you don’t have to have all the answers.
- Remember these simple words: It’s okay. Of course, there is no guarantee that things will be okay, it doesn’t change the fact that these simple words can provide peace in what seems to be a storm.
- Don’t show disappointment in your actions, body language or facial expressions. She is already inflicting enough self-punishment on herself. The guilt and shame associated with an unplanned pregnancy can be overwhelming; usually she is already disappointed in herself.
- Don’t try to solve all her problems at once. There’s more to the picture than just the pregnancy. College, scholarships, relationships, parents, jobs, etc. Don’t get lost in the big picture. Take it one day at a time. Today, just offer the supports she needs.
Our clinic is open weekdays 10-5 pm (and 10-4 pm during the summer months). We encourage our clients to make an appointment, but walk-ins are also available as appointments are open.